Hinkley Lighting, Inc. and its affiliated companies ("Hinkley") are committed to protecting your privacy. This statement explains the steps we take to protect your personal data when you visit or access our Web sites. It describes what categories of personal data we collect, the purposes for which we use those data, your choices regarding use of your data, our security measures, and how you can review and correct your data. By accessing our Web sites, you consent to the data collection and use practices described in this privacy statement.
Data collected directly from visitor input. In most instances, you can visit our Web sites without providing any personal data. However, on some pages, we may ask you for personal data to grant access, provide a service, or carry out a transaction requested by you. The personal data that we collect may include:
- contact details, such as your name, title, company/organization name, e-mail address, telephone and fax numbers, and physical address;
- financial information (including credit card numbers, bank or customer account information, and, in connection with credit requests, Social Security Number or other national/tax identification number)
- your inquiries about and orders for our products and services, as well as information that assists us in identifying the best products and services for you;
- information about your company and job position;
- your preferences with respect to e-mail marketing;
- contest entry and event registration information; and
- feedback from you about our products and services (including our Web sites).
You are not required to provide this information. However, if you choose not to, we may not be able to provide you the requested service or complete your transaction.
Data collected automatically. Certain data about all visitors to our Web sites is automatically collected, including what pages they view, the number of bytes transferred, the links they click, and other actions taken within our Web sites. On Web sites to which you logon, we may connect this information with your identity to improve the Web site service and performance. We may also use this information to improve our security measures. We also collect certain standard information that your browser sends to every Web site you visit, such as your Internet Protocol (IP) address, your browser type and capabilities and language, your operating system, the date and time you access the site, and the Web site from which you linked to our site. We do not link these data to your identity.
Our use of your personal data
We will use your personal data only for the purposes set forth below.
- Services and transactions. We use your personal data to deliver services or execute transactions you request, such as providing information about Hinkley products and services, processing orders, answering customer service requests, facilitating use of our Web sites, and so forth. In order to offer you a more consistent experience in interacting with Hinkley, information collected by our Web sites may be combined with information we collect by other means.
- Web site improvement. We may use your data to improve our Web sites (including our security measures) and related products or services, or to make our Web sites easier to use by eliminating the need for you to repeatedly enter the same information or by customizing our Web sites to your particular preference or interests.
- Marketing Communications. With your permission, we may use your data to inform you of products or services available from Hinkley. When collecting information that might be used to contact you about our products and services, we always give you the opportunity to opt-out from receiving such communications. Moreover, each e-mail communication we send includes an unsubscribe link allowing you to stop delivery of that type of communication. If you elect to unsubscribe, we will remove you from the relevant list within 10 business days.
- Employment Applications. In connection with a job application or inquiry, you may provide us with data about yourself, including your educational background, resume or curriculum vitae, and other information, including your ethnicity where required or permitted by law. We may use this information throughout Hinkley, its subsidiaries and affiliates, and its joint ventures for the purpose of employment consideration. We will keep the information for future consideration unless you direct us not to do so.
Cookies are small files that Web sites save to your hard disk or to your browser's memory. Our Web sites may use them to track the number of times you have visited the Web site, to track the number of visitors to the Web site, to determine and analyze visitors' use of our Web sites, to store data that you provide such as your preferences and e-mail address, and to store technical information related to your interactions with our Web sites. We may also use session cookies (which are deleted when you close your browser) to store your user ID, to facilitate your movement around our Web sites (particularly in connection with information searches and order placement) and other information useful in administering the session.
Most Internet browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser settings to decline cookies or to notify you when a cookie is being placed on your computer. If you choose not to accept cookies, you may not be able to experience all of the features of our Web sites. Internet browsers also enable you to delete existing cookies, although this means that your existing settings (including stored user IDs and other preferences will be lost.
Our sites also may contain electronic images known as web beacons â€“ sometimes called single-pixel gifs â€“ that allow us to count the number of users who have visited those pages. We may include web beacons in promotional e-mail messages or newsletters in order to determine whether messages have been opened and acted upon (including whether the recipient clicked on a link in the email or forwarded the email to another person).
Disclosure of your personal data
Except as described below, personal data that you provide to Hinkley via our Web sites will not be shared outside of Hinkley, its subsidiaries and affiliates, and its joint ventures without your consent.
- Disclosure to service providers. Hinkley contracts with other companies to provide services on our behalf, such as hosting Web sites, sending out information, processing transactions, and analyzing our Web sites. We provide these companies with only those elements of your personal data they need to deliver those services. These companies and their employees are prohibited from using those personal data for any other purposes.
- Disclosure in connection with transactions. In connection with certain transactions, we may disclose some or all of your personal data to financial institutions, government entities, and shipping companies or postal services involved in fulfilling the transaction.
- Disclosures in connection with acquisitions or divestitures. Circumstances may arise where for strategic or other business reasons Hinkley decides to sell, buy, merge or otherwise reorganize particular businesses. Such a transaction may involve the disclosure of personal data to prospective or actual purchasers, or receiving it from sellers. It is Hinkley's practice to seek appropriate protection for personal data and transmittal of information in these types of transactions.
- Disclosure on collaborative Web sites. Some of our Web sites may promote collaboration among registered users with respect to a particular area or topic (e.g. a "Forum" page). On those Web sites, we may share your username with other participants to label comments or suggestions that you make as yours. We do not, however, share your name, contact details, or other personal data with other users of those collaborative Web sites.
- Disclosure for other reasons. We may disclose personal data if required to do so by law or in the good-faith belief that such action is necessary to comply with legal requirements or with legal process served on us, to protect and defend our rights or property, or in urgent circumstances to protect the personal safety of any individual.
Hinkley is committed to protecting the security of your personal data. We use a variety of security technologies and procedures to help protect your personal data from unauthorized access, use, or disclosure. For example, we store the personal data you provide on computer systems with limited access that are located in facilities to which access is limited. When you move around a site to which you have logged in, or from one site to another that uses the same login mechanism, we verify your identity by means of an encrypted cookie placed on your machine. When you place an order with us, view account information, or provide financial information, we protect the transmission of such data using Secure Socket Layer (SSL) encryption.
For sites to which you login, it is your responsibility to ensure the security of your password and not to reveal this information to others. If you are sharing a computer with anyone you should always logout before leaving a Web site so that subsequent users will not be able to access your data.
Reviewing your personal data
In some cases, you can review and correct personal data provided through our Web sites by going to the page on which you provided the data. You can always make a request to review and correct your personal data collected via our Web sites, if any has been collected, by sending an e-mail to email@example.com. We may take steps to verify your identity before providing you access to your personal data. You can help us to keep your data accurate by notifying us of any change to your mailing address, phone number, or e-mail address.
International transfers of personal data
Personal data collected on our Web sites may be stored and processed in the United States or any other country in which Hinkley or its subsidiaries, affiliates, or joint ventures maintain facilities. By choosing to use our Web sites and to provide data to them, you consent to any such transfer of information outside of your country.
Links to other Web sites
Our Web sites may contain links to other Web sites, including those of other companies, professional and government organizations, and publications. While we try to link only to Web sites that share our high standards and respect for privacy, we do not control and are not responsible for the content, security, or privacy practices employed by other Web sites. You should review the privacy statements of those Web sites to determine how they protect and use your personal data.
This site is a general audience site, although it contains information that may be of interest to children. However, Hinkley does not seek through this site to gather personal data from or about persons 18 years or younger.
Questions about our privacy practices
If you have questions regarding this privacy statement or our handling of your personal data, please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org, or by mail at
Hinkley Lighting, Inc.
Attn: Data Privacy Office
33000 Pin Oak Parkway
Avon Lake, Ohio 44012
Changes to this privacy statement
Hinkley may occasionally update this privacy statement. When we do, we will revise the "last updated" date at the bottom of the privacy statement. We will obtain consent for any updates to this privacy statement that materially expand the sharing or use of your personal data in ways not disclosed in this privacy statement at the time of collection.
Last Updated: September 2010