- Our Story
THE HINKLEY LEGACY
In 1922, Phil R. Hinkley founded Hinkley Lighting, Inc. in Cleveland, Ohio. Under four generations of family leadership, Hinkley Lighting has transformed from a small outdoor lantern company to a global manufacturer of indoor and outdoor lighting for residential and light commercial applications. The foundation of Hinkley Lighting is built on the personal relationships we’ve cultivated with our customers throughout the past 95 years.
HINKLEY LIGHTING MISSION
We are committed to keeping our customer’s “Life Aglow.” Our mission is to provide consumers with exceptional lighting products that are superior in design and quality, and we pride ourselves on delivering unrivaled customer service that is second to none. Hinkley Lighting understands the passion our customers feel for their homes and we are dedicated to helping them realize their vision.
HINKLEY LIGHTING VALUES
- Operating as a family-owned business for more than 95 years, we prioritize family over everything else. From the office, to our homes, family comes first.
- We strive to deliver the highest caliber of customer service in the industry.
- Thoughtful design, impeccable attention to detail and quality craftsmanship are the backbone of every single product we release.
- We encourage our employees to explore new areas of business and empower them with an open-minded culture. All employees have access to direct and fluid communication with all levels of leadership.
- We take pride in our Northeast Ohio roots where nothing is given. Everything is earned.
"OUR HERITAGE COMBINES WITH A RELENTLESS PURSUIT OF INNOVATIVE DESIGN AND TECHNOLOGY TO CREATE MODERN LIGHTING THAT ILLUMINATES WHAT YOU TREASURE MOST."
RICK WIEDEMER, CEO
In the mid-1930s, Phil Hinkley contracted tuberculosis, and sold half of the company share to Stanley Wiedemer, a traveling salesman from Kansas City. In 1937, Phil Hinkley passed away, and Stanley purchased the other half of Hinkley Lighting. Shortly after, he moved his family from Kansas City to Cleveland. Fast forward 32 years. Richard “Rick” Wiedemer, a young, eager, business major, had just graduated from Ohio University, and officially began his career at Hinkley Lighting.
Working his way through every department of the company, Rick entrenched himself in the lighting industry. Forty-nine years later, Rick earned title, Chief Executive Officer of Hinkley Lighting, a role he’s been in since 2015. His sons, Jess, president of Hinkley Lighting, and Eric, vice president, have been instrumental in the company’s growth. The Wiedemer family looks forward to another 96 years in business!