Executive Vice-President of Sales
- DEPARTMENT: Sales
- REVISION DATE: 10/2019
- REPORTS TO: CEO
- FLSA Status: Exempt
At Hinkley, our mission is to create chic, innovative lighting that illuminates the special moments of life, from the hustle of day-to-day moments to the joyful glow of memorable occasions. We've been around a long time and learned a few things along the way... and one of the most important is that meaningful experiences with our products and our people are more important than business transactions. It's the relationships that matter: with our customers, colleagues and partners. We call it 'Life Aglow.'
With a team of just over 130 employees, Hinkley is chock-full of people who recognize that our lighting becomes a significant part of someone's home and lifestyle - and we have a passion for making it the best possible experience at every touch point. We believe that accountability, trust and professionalism inspires confidence in our products and our brand. We're transforming the lighting industry and people are noticing!
Hinkley is committed to providing a total reward package including a market-competitive salary, an annual performance bonus for every position in the company, a comprehensive benefits program, community service volunteer program and much more! Our benefits package includes: 401(k) plan with company match, comprehensive health insurance coverage, paid time off (PTO), 10 paid holidays, life insurance, disability, wellness programs, voluntary benefits including dental, vision & more, flexible spending accounts for health and dependent care and employee product purchase discounts.
The right candidate must come with executive leadership experience in the consumer goods industry and a proven track record of achieving winning outcomes. We are looking for an action-oriented leader who wants to own and dominate this position with the goal of outperforming the competition, all the while cultivating a renowned customer experience.
What Is At Our Core:
- Working as a professional family which cares about people
- Passion for growth and doing whatever it takes
- Empowering people to take action and try new things
- Common vision and goals
- Focus on the customer & end user
- Hinkley quality & brand really meaning something
- Honesty and integrity
- Enjoyment, fun, friendliness, life-work balance
If this has sparked a feeling of excitement in you, then read more about this great CAREER OPPORTUNITY:
Reporting to the President, the Executive Vice-President of Sales will be accountable for driving profitable growth by developing, implementing, leading, and scaling all commercial and market development activities including marketing and sales. The individual will develop and lead a dynamic, results-oriented go-to market strategy in tune with Hinkley’s sales channels. With a focus on inspired leadership, the Executive Vice-President of Sales will create a powerful best-in-class platform business built through repeatable, measurable, and scalable systems and processes.
Performance & Leadership Expectations
Serving as an impassioned leader, the Executive Vice-President of Sales will methodically and effectively begin the process of further professionalizing the Company’s commercial approach. Key to his/her approach, this leader will place a strong focus on driving a culture of execution demonstrated by their own example. He/she will passionately lead the business by setting an exceptionally high standard of performance and developing a team that can keep pace. The Executive Vice-President of Sales will exhibit a contagious level of confidence, competitiveness, and continuous improvement that will drive performance. This leader must be grounded in intellectual honesty, self-awareness, and humility.
The Executive Vice-President of Sales will be closely involved with the President and VP & General Counsel while developing and fulfilling the strategic plan. The person will work in a collaborative and open fashion with President, VP & General Counsel, Advisory Counsel, and the Management Team, while leading improvements across the business. The executive will lead in an entrepreneurial, resourceful manner, and consistently deliver results with lean resources. He/she will be responsible for helping the Company meet quarterly and annual EBITDA targets and growth plans, while continuously increasing the enterprise value of the Company.
Profitable Top Line Growth
With respect to the sales organization, the person will enable the Company’s scalability and cohesion by integrating, building, and/or creating the right teams, processes and technologies. The person will drive the development of the Company’s selling “playbook,” including product position, ideal customer profile, repeatable/consistent sales process, customer buying processes, cross-selling of additional products into existing clients, targeting and qualification, sales funnel management, sales messaging, training, and focus on the compelling value proposition for the Company’s story. He/she will develop effective metrics, sales projections, and pricing tactics. All sales activities require an eye toward accelerating customer acquisition, retention, revenue goals, and EBITDA expansion. The person will maintain the pulse of the competitive landscape as well as that of the customer-base. The Executive Vice-President of Sales will be a hands-on “working manager” concurrently serving as a coach, sales leader/manager, and a strategic contributor within the Company’s management team.
With respect to marketing efforts, the Executive Vice-President of Sales will be responsible for developing and executing the Company’s go-to market strategy through a collaborative effort. He/she will leverage a strategic and thoughtful approach to market segmentation and development. The person will be responsible for energizing, growing, developing, and overseeing efficient and results oriented multi-channel marketing. He/she will oversee demand generation and follow-up activities including the development of robust processes and campaigns that will drive awareness, education, and lead generation.
High Performance Team
A sizeable portion of this role will involve cultivating, managing, developing, and driving a high-performance team concept throughout the organization. The Executive Vice-President of Sales must create an engaging, empowering, and culture of service, passion, competitiveness and accountability, while building upon the pillars of the Company’s cultural strength.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field
- 20+ years of leadership experience / 7+ years at the executive level
- 5+ years of recent experience in a consumer durables business that leverages (non-retail) direct and two-step distribution sales channels
- Understands strategic needs of customers and how to work the complete category of solutions into those needs.
- A verifiable track record of leveraging pricing strategies to drive revenue and EBITDA.
- Analytical prowess and the proven ability to measure what matters.
- A proven history of building and developing high-performance teams and cultures
- Solid track record of driving margin improvement in a high-growth environment
- Must have focus on execution, strong bias for action, decisiveness, and a sense of urgency. Must have highest standards for performance and drive accountability across the Company.
- Substantial domestic travel, approximately 30%.
- Substantial domestic travel, approximately 30% of time.
Level and Type of Education Required
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications or related education/experience required
- Advanced degree preferred (MBA or MBA-equivalent experience).
Related Work Experience Required
- A minimum of seven years of related sales leadership experience in a multi-channel organization.
- Sales experience in a consumer products industry preferred.
- Prior experience managing a remote team is preferred
Necessary Specialized Training, Knowledge, Skill and Abilities
- Ability to motivate, inspire and lead a professional sales team.
- In-depth knowledge of and a proven track record in channel management
- Positive personality and demeanor.
- Excellent presentation skills, communications skills (written and verbal), organization, time management (ability to set and prioritize goals), and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills necessary to establish and build collaborative working relationships with others within and outside the organization
- Integrity, sense of responsibility, independent judgment.
- Exceptional listening skills required.
- Proven ability to work with and maintain confidential information.
- Ability to work under pressure, deadline driven.
- Demonstrates problem solving and negotiation skills.
- Expert user of Microsoft Office Suite including Excel. ERP/ CRM software experience required.
- Strong analytical skills and creative problem-solving skills
Hinkley is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity (including Veterans/Disabled and other protected categories). All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of any characteristic protected by law. Candidates must possess authorization to work in the United States, as it is not our practice to sponsor individuals for work visas.